A very short (30 minute) recurring discussion group for all things relating to active faults, paleoseismology, seismic risk, seismic hazard, and associated geohazards in Canada. All are welcome!
Meetings are every Tuesday from 11-11:30pm Pacific Time (Vancouver) on zoom. Connection info is provided at the bottom of the page. If there is ever a paper you need access to, just send me a message.
- Jan 26, 2022 Presentation by T. Hobbs on the Canadian Seismic Risk Model (draft document available)
- Feb 2, 2022 Discussion of D. Edgington's 2021 paper 'Planning for Earthquakes and Tsunamis: Lessons from Japan for British Columbia, Canada'
- Feb 9, 2022 Discussion of S. McBride et al.'s 2022 paper 'Evidence-based Guidelines for Protective Actions and Earthquake Early Warning Systems'
- Feb 16, 2022 Discussion of E. Schottenfels & C. Regalla's 2021 paper 'Bathymetric Signatures of Submarine Forearc Deformation: A Case Study in the Nankai Accretionary Prism'
- Feb 23, 2022 Presentation by R. Merrill on his new earthquake catalogue for SW BC
- Mar 2, 2022 Discussion of D. Melgar et al.'s 2022 paper 'Deep Coseismic Slip in the Cascadia Megathrust Can Be Consistent with Coastal Subsidence'
- Mar 9, 2022 Presentation by G. Littel on offshore triple junction seismicity
- Mar 16, 2022 *POSTPONED* Discussion of N. Harrichhausen et al.'s 2021 paper 'Paleoseismic trenching reveals late quaternary kinematics of the Leech River Fault: Implications for forearc strain accumulation in Northern Cascadia'. Note: An open access version is available through NSF.
- Mar 23, 2022 *NO MEETING* [Hobbs on field work]
- Mar 30, 2022 Discussion of N. Harrichhausen et al.'s 2021 paper 'Paleoseismic trenching reveals late quaternary kinematics of the Leech River Fault: Implications for forearc strain accumulation in Northern Cascadia'. Note: An open access version is available through NSF.
- Apr 6, 2022 Discussion of R. Costa et al.'s 2020 paper 'Predicting population displacements after earthquakes'. Note: An open access version is available through the author's website.
- Apr 13, 2022 Discussion of A. Blais-Stevens et al.'s 2020 paper Evidence for Holocene Earthquakes Along the Denali Fault in Southwest Yukon, Canada.
- Apr 20, 2022 *NO MEETING* [SSA Annual Meeting in Bellevue, WA]
- Apr 27, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- May 4, 2022 Discussion of F. Acuna et al.'s 2022 paper 'How good is a Paleoseismic Record of Megathrust Earthquakes for Probabilistic Forecasting'. Note: An open access version is available on Research Gate.
- May 11, 2022 Discussion of J. Clague et al.'s 1997 paper 'Age and significance of earthquake-induced liquefaction near Vancouver, BC, Canada'.
- May 18, 2022 Discussion of J. Elliott and J. Freymueller's 2020 paper 'A Block Model of Present-Day Kinematics of Alaska and Western Canada'.
- May 25, 2022 Discussion of D. Wald et al.'s 2020 paper 'A domestic earthquake impact alert protocol based on the combined USGS PAGER and FEMA Hazus loss estimation systems'.
- June 1, 2022 Discussion of V. Barrie and P. Hill's 2004 paper 'Holocene faulting on a tectonic margin: Georgia Basin, British Columbia, Canada'.
- June 8, 2022 Discussion of J. Clague et al.'s 2002 paper 'The Earthquake Threat in Southwestern British Columbia: a Geologic Perspective'.
- June 15, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- June 22, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- June 29, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- July 6, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- July 13, 2022 Discussion of A. Bustin et al.'s 2013 paper 'The southern Coast Mountains, British Columbia: New interpretations from geological, seismic reflection, and gravity data'.
- July 20, 2022 Discussion of M. Journeay and J. van Ulden's 1998 paper 'Neogene structural elements of northern Cascadia, British Columbia'.
- July 27, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- August 3, 2022 Discussion of K. Morell et al.'s 2018 paper 'Holocene Surface Rupture History of an Active ForearcFault Redefines Seismic Hazard in SouthwesternBritish Columbia, Canada'.
- August 10, 2022 Discussion of A. Blais-Stevens et al.'s 2011 paper 'A Revised Earthquake Chronology for the last 4,000 Years Inferred from Varve-Bounded Debris-Flow Deposits beneath an Inlet near Victoria, British Columbia'.
- August 10, 2022 Discussion of D. Melgar and Y. Bock's 2015 paper 'Kinematic earthquake source inversion and tsunami runup prediction with regional geophysical data'.
- August 17, 2022 Discussion of Locher and Berna's 2014 field trip guide paper 'Holocene human interaction and adaptation to geological and climatic changes in the Lower Mainland, Fraser Canyon, and Coast Mountain area of British Columbia: A geoarchaeological view'. Open version here.
- August 31, 2022 Discussion of J. Meszaros and M. Fiegener's 2004 conference paper 'Predicting Earthquake Preparation: Small Business Responses to Nisqually'.
- September 7, 2022 Discussion of V. Silva and N. Horspool's 2019 paper 'Combining USGS ShakeMaps and the OpenQuake-engine for damage and loss assessment'.
- September 14, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- September 21, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- September 28, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- October 5, 2022 Discussion of A. Bebamzadeh et al's 2018 conference paper 'Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada: Impact of Long Duration Subduction Ground Motion'.
- October 12, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- October 19, 2022 Discussion of G. Brooks's 2015 paper 'An integrated stratigraphic approach to investigating evidence of paleoearthquakes in lake deposits of eastern Canada'.
- October 26, 2022 Discussion of N. Balfour et al.'s 2012 paper 'Identifying Active Structures Using Double‐Difference Earthquake Relocations in Southwest British Columbia and the San Juan Islands, Washington'..
- November 2, 2022 *PUSHED TO NEXT WEEK*
- November 9, 2022 Discussion of J. Orwin et al.'s 2004 paper 'The Cheam rock avalanche, Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada'.
- November 16, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- November 23, 2022 Discussion of N. Harrichhausen et al.'s 2022 paper 'Eocene Terrane Accretion in Northern Cascadia Recorded by Brittle Left-lateral Slip on the San Juan Fault'.
- November 30, 2022 Discussion of D. Doser's 2014 paper 'Seismicity of Southwestern Yukon, Canada, and its relation to slip transfer between the Fairweather and Denali fault systems'.
- December 7, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- December 14, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- December 21, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- December 28, 2022 *NO MEETING*
- January 4, 2023 * NO MEETING*
- January 11, 2023 * NO MEETING*
- January 18, 2023 Discussion of B. Sherrod et al.'s 2021 paper 'LiDAR and Paleoseismology Solve Earthquake Mystery in the Pacific Northwest, USA'.
- January 25, 2023 *NO MEETING*
- January 31, 2023 *NO MEETING*
- February 7, 2023 *NO MEETING*
- February 14, 2023 Discussion of M. Bucci et al.'s 2019 paper 'When the earth blisters: Exploring recurrent liquefaction features in the coastal system of Christchurch, New Zealand' (Tiegan summarizing).
- February 28, 2023 Discussion of Luo and Wang's 2022 paper 'Finding Simplicity in the Complexity of Postseismic Coastal Uplift and Subsidence Following Great Subduction Earthquakes' (Raul summarizing).
- March 7, 2023 Discussion of Basham and Adams' 1989 paper 'Problems of seismic hazard estimation in regions with few large earthquakes: Examples from eastern Canada' (Geena summarizing).
- March 14, 2023 Discussion of Parrino et al.'s 2022 paper 'Elusive active faults in a low strain rate region (Sicily, Italy): Hints from a multidisciplinary land-to-sea approach' (Raul summarizing).
- March 21, 2023 Discussion of D. Schwartz et al.'s 2012 paper 'Why the 2002 Denali fault rupture propagated onto the Totschunda fault: Implications for fault branching and seismic hazards' (Theron summarizing).
- April 4, 2023 Discussion of Finley et al.'s 2022 paper 'Modern dextral strain controls active hydrothermal systems in the southeastern Canadian Cordillera' (Tiegan summarizing).
- April 11, 2023 Discussion of Kao et al.'s 2018 paper 'Induced Seismicity in Western Canada Linked to Tectonic Strain Rate: Implications for Regional Seismic Hazard' (Geena summarizing).
- April 25, 2023 Discussion of Fallou et al.'s 2022 paper 'How to Fight Earthquake Misinformation: A Communication Guide' (Meg summarizing).
If you are interested in joining our discussion group please join the listserv.
Join us via Zoom
Meeting ID: 629 2051 1053